Welcome to V's Daily Indulgence!! My site is dedicated to recipes with ingredients that are easily found in your grocery store, no fancy ingredients, just basic everyday cooking recipes that are easy to follow even for the beginner cook!  

For my how-to-videos Click here

I am passionate about cooking and keeping my recipes Simple, Savory and Satisfying! Grab a cup of coffee and stay for awhile. I hope you find something that will soon become a family favorite! If you do, I would love to hear your comments! I'm listening.

Favorite quote: " "The best thing to hold on to in life is each other." - Audrey Hepburn

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Celebrating my new look with German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting

Were celebrating with cake! With the new year upon us, I decided I needed a little change on my blog. I have been working hard this week to bring my blog a new look as I'm sure you've already noticed! I have a new graphic at the top which is more recipe and/or cooking related. I just have to shout out to Lena at Simply Fabulous as she inspired me with her "just like me" blog characters. This one is mine thou! Lena helped me with my new recipe girl to get her just right. Check them out if you're looking for an update or new theme to your design. Check out the tutorials too. They are easy to follow and will help you with neat tips and tricks.
Although I've been busy behind the scenes here, I'm just getting settled. I can't wait to get started on some long overdue posts. I'd love to hear your thoughts on my blog.
Today.... we celebrate with my favorite cake! One of my most indulgent cake is the almighty German Chocolate. This cake is not for you if you are watching your calories, it's not the skinny version, it is for you if you want to indulge....What if you could make the best, moist chocolate cake recipe you ever tasted, from scratch, in about the same time it takes you to make a box cake?

Doesn't that just make your mouth water!!!





I often get asked if using any chocolate cake recipe would work and frost it with the Coconut Pecan Frosting.  You can do that .......NO, it is not the same thing. German chocolate cake is made using the "German Chocolate" in it. The German chocolate is a lighter and sweeter chocolate than what regular baking chocolate is. The German Chocolate cake is also made using buttermilk. 





It is so simple and yet so decadent. I insist on making all of it from scratch! This is my all time favorite recipe for the cake and frosting too. The recipe comes from the German Chocolate package itselt. I've played with the frosting a bit. The cake turns out light and fluffy and the frosting is really rich.  Somebody hold me back, I may eat the entire cake myself.... well if Colin doesn't first.

Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg. Baker's German’s sweet chocolate (4 oz.)
  • 1/2 cup Water, boiling
  • 1 cup Butter or margarine
  • 2 cup Sugar
  • 4 Eggs, separated
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
  • 2 cups Flour, all-purpose
  • 1 teaspoon Baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup Buttermilk

1. Melt chocolate in water and cool.

2. Cream butter and Sugar.

3. Beat in egg yolks.

4. Stir in vanilla and chocolate.

5. Mix flour, soda and salt. beat in flour mixture, alternately with buttermilk.

6. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour batter
into three 9-inch layer pans, lined on bottoms with waxed paper.

7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed in
center Cool 15 minutes; remove and cool on rack.

Coconut Pecan Frosting:
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 can  (12 oz.) evaporated milk
  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1-1/2 cups  sugar
  • 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
  • 1 pkg.  (7 oz.)  FLAKE Coconut (about 2-2/3 cups)
  • 1-1/2 cups finely Chopped Pecans (I use Fisher, cookie pieces)


BEAT egg yolks, milk and vanilla in large saucepan with wire whisk until well blended. Add sugar and butter; cook on medium heat 2 min.  stirring constantly. ADD vanilla, coconut and pecans; mix well. Continue cooking another 10 minutes or until thickened and golden brown. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature for best spreading consistency



My Tips:
*Increase water by ½ cup when melting chocolate
*Increase buttermilk by ¼ cup
*Do not over beat egg whites
*Stir coconut-pecan frosting  the entire cooking process


Now Were ready for the assembly! Once the frosting is completely cooled, divide the filling evenly between the 3 cakes putting the 1st layer down, Then spread the filling evenly. Repeat with second and third ...


Unlike some cakes this one does not need instructions on how to frost the sides. This frosting makes enough to, so go ahead.  All I can say is just slap it on and make it stick. It does not need to be perfectly smooth. Refrigerate the cake for some time after frosting to keep the frosting from sliding off. After this, you shouldn't have to refrigerate it.

Are you READY for a bite?



2 comments:

  1. Wow, that cake is a beauty. Yours looks so much better than my cakes ever do after I frost them. It sounds delicious especially with that luscious frosting spread all over it. I have a linky party going on at my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. That's a lovely cake. I want a big piece after looking at your pictures! :P So yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Blog Widget by LinkWithin